Wednesday, March 7, 2012

God Bless The Children

"If our American way of life fails the child, it fails us all."  ~Pearl S. Buck

Usually my posts are light, slightly humorous (or at least the attempt is made) and are full of fun photos and stories about what I have been up to.  This one is slightly more serious.  

Part of the beauty of social media is that you are exposed to things that you may not have seen otherwise.  All kinds of things.  Had it not been for social media I would not know a lot about what is going on locally or in other states.  I definitely would not have known about the rather ridiculous listing for Whitney Houstons mansion in NJ or that Snooki is allegedly pregnant and due in December.  


I also would not have known about Joseph Kony in Central Africa.  I strongly urge you to take a few minutes out of your day to watch the video above.   I did so while doing dishes this morning.  It made me realize that although I pretend not to be "that person" I really kind of am.  I had no idea this was going on and I had no idea who this person is.  I am not hopping on the next plane to the Congo but I have committed to further the cause of the Invisible Children by posting about this so that more people will know who Joseph Kony is, the heinous crimes he has committed and to generally raise awareness to lead to his capture, arrest and conviction in an international court.  One person can make a difference.  I have seen this video because one person posted it.  Because I saw it, I have reposted it and others have watched it from there.  It is a domino effect.  If you read this, please repost it.  The more people know this name, the greater this movement becomes.  

Joseph Kony has abducted more than 30,000 CHILDREN.  He has made the girls sex slaves.  He has turned little boys into child soldiers, making them kill their parents and mutilate the faces of others.  No child should live in fear of being abducted and raped.  No child should be forced to kill and mutilate.  I have a son.  He is almost five years old.  If ANY person kidnapped him,  turned him into a soldier and made him mutilate the faces of his friends or kill me it would be all over the news.  As would the abductor.  I realize this is not happening in our community, state, country or even on our continent, but it is happening in our world.  Without humanitarian efforts it will continue.  Please pass this along to do your part as a human.  It is human nature to want to be a part of something.  Why not be a part of this, all it takes is a click.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment