Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder :-)

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”― Marcel Proust

Since my last post we have been Scoot'n around the US.  Literally.  When I wrapped up my last post I was headed to Tucson, Arizona for Kappa Alpha Theta Grand Convention.  As President of the Mobile Bay Alumnae Chapter of Theta it is my duty to represent our chapter at this event that is held every other year.  I am THAT dork that had such a wonderful sorority experience in college that I have remained active beyond graduation.  During my four years at THE University of Alabama I found that Theta was much more than a social organization to me.  It was my home.  Literally and figuratively.  I came to Tuscaloosa from Maryland.  My parents were a thousand miles away and I could not just run up the road to get home for the weekend.  Within those walls I found comfort, support, some of the best friends I will ever have, and most importantly- myself.  I learned lessons in responsibility, morality, loyalty and service to others.  I'm not going to say I did not have fun.  I had a hell of a lot of fun at my parents expense (god love them).  With my sisters I learned how to bong a beer, do a keg stand, and master the schedule of nightly drink specials around town.  We also learned how to look out for each other.  To be the voice of reason in an impaired state and most of all how to keep each other safe.  Moderation.  Great word.  It bothers me when people say that just because you were in a Greek organization that you bought your friends.  I could have made friends anywhere.  It was a mutual choice that I became a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. They chose me and I chose them.  I never bought my way in.  Granted, with my dues I was able to live in a mansion with house keepers and a team of culinary geniuses but they became family too.  And every time I go back to Tuscaloosa on the weekend for a football game don't think for one second that I do not go out of my way to go back to that house and into that kitchen and hunt down Miss Anita and Terry just for the sole purpose of giving them a hug.   It is a part of me and helped shape who I am.  That is why, I suppose, I remain involved.  I believe in the organization and just want to give back a small part of what I gained from being a member.  It was truly an honor to attend Grand Convention.  A dorky honor and I loved it.  Bama is in the middle of recruitment now.  For all of us old fogies that means rush week.  It is 7 days long now.  When I was there it was 5 including bid day.  My pledge class was around 45.  That was considered HUGE back in 1996.  This year they are expecting quota to be somewhere around 120.  I am proud of that house.  Proud to have been a member and I hope that the girls that walk through that door in a few days with the hopes of wearing those three letters will be just as proud.  And if they have half the experience I did there will be a lot of happy involved women a few years down the road.......................




1 comment: